Admission in MBBS
Admission in MBBS : Becoming a doctor not only gives you a prestigious career but also gives a satisfaction of serving and helping the people with their health issues and making your mark in creating a healthy society. A doctor is the most reputed and respected job. But how do you start with this ???
Getting a seat in MBBS is not easy, it takes lot of hard, commitment and dedication. Once you are in, it is more of hard work. But to achieve a seat in a reputed institution, which will guide you in a right way of achieving your dream is the first step to your success of becoming a good doctor. MBBS stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, the duration of course is 5.5 years, which includes 4.5 years of classroom study and one year of internship.
To get admission in MBBS, a candidate must have
- cleared 12th standard or 10+2 or equivalent in two years without any backlogs, with Physics/Chemistry and Biology(PCB) as main subjects and English as a compulsory subject,
- the candidate must have attained 50% or 60% in case of AIIMS, however the cut off marks vary for different universities.
- There are national level entrance exams such as NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test), JIPMER(Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research), AIIMS(All India Institute of Medical Sciences) to get into MBBS. Once you clear these exams , you will be invited for counselling as per your ranks in the entrance exam. The admissions are based on different factors, like reservations, availability of seats, eligibility, scores, merit etc. It sometimes happens that a student has a good score in 12th/10+2, but failed to attain a good rank in any of the entrance exam.
In such cases there is an option of getting Admission in MBBS through Management Quota. This is also known as direct admission, this is an opportunity for students who failed to attain a merit rank in NEET, JIPMER or AIIMS.
For getting admission through management quota, a student must have good grades in 12th standard preferably 50%-60%, with PCB as main optional subjects, and must have registered themselves with any of the entrance exams, it is mandatory that medical college can intake students only if they have registered and cleared the entrance exams. Such students can register themselves for a direct admission in MBBS with a higher fees. Almost all colleges have 15% to 20% of seats reserved for Management quota admissions depending on the law of that particular state. The fee structure changes from college to college.
Documents needed for taking admission in MBBS through management quota
- All the original mark-sheets of 10th and 12th standard.
- Certified copy of SSC for date of birth.
- Certified copy of entrance exam for MBBS.
- Migration certificate.
- Passport size photos.
Management quota admission is nothing new or different from a regular admission, this is just an alternate way of giving an opportunity to students who could not score better in the entrance exam but have a good percentage in their 10+2, this can happen due to many reasons. A deserving student must not be left behind only because of his rank in entrance exams.
Instead they can get into a good MBBS college of their choice by taking admission thorough management quota and fulfill their dream of becoming a doctor. A candidate must also remember that it is not very easy to get admission through management quota also, as there is lot of competition and a candidate must be eligible in every way to qualify to get admitted in a reputed college.
The admissions through management quota are merely based on the availability of seats. So, one must be really fast and cautious while deciding about the admission.
How to Get Direct Admission in MBBS
Cracking MBBS and getting into a reputed institute is not easy. It requires a lot of hard work and patience. A candidate who is willing to become a doctor but could not perform well in the exams, can take admission through management quota and fulfil his wish.
With the rise in competition it really becomes difficult and stressful to get admission in a good college. So it is always better to have a proper guidance.
A person holding a MBBS degree is a legit medical practitioner and can perform minor or not so critical medical tasks. With a MBBS degree one can get employed with hospitals or healthcare centres as consultants, physicians, assistants, they also in assist in government health care campaigns to increase awareness about different diseases, health and fitness and different can attend different conferences.
A MBBS degree holder has elementary knowledge of medical science, but to perform major surgeries one has to obtain Masters, which is the next step.