MD Pathology Admission : NEET PG Eligibility, Entrance Exam, Application form, Syllabus, Results : MD Pathology Admission
Duration: 3 Years
Course Type: Post Graduation
Doctorate of Medicine (abbreviated as M.D.) in Pathology is a postgraduate degree in the of medicine and diagnostics/ the study of a disease. This specialty addresses the main 3 components of disease – cause, mechanism of development or origin, consequences of changes.
The branch deals with diagnostic, testing and treatment methods using genetic technologies, thus underpinning the concept of patient care and prevention of diseases. Physicians practicing pathology are called pathologists. They generally work with other doctors, scientists, and health professionals in hospitals and clinics to diagnose, treat and prevent diseases.
The process of pathology is quite simple, mapping the overall response of the body to any foreign influence, i.e. antigen or disease. Subsequently, this knowledge is used to diagnose and treat illnesses. Pathologists compare the normal structure and function (cell count, blood) of a human body to the abnormal structure and function observed when a person is not well.
Pathology consists of 4 main specialties:
- Hematology – the study of disorders of the blood
- Histopathology – the study of disease in human tissue
- Medical Microbiology – the study of infection
- Chemical Pathology – the study of the biochemical basis of diseases
Pathology is the division of medical science, which focuses on effects, development, processes and causes of diseases. Subjects studied under this degree are Pathology, Microbiology, Immunology, Medical Genetics and Neuroscience.
MD IN PATHOLOGY: COURSE OBJECTIVES
- Train students for performing high-quality diagnoses in any specified clinical situation using appropriate and relevant samples of tissue, blood, body fluid, etc., and suggest treatment options based on the diagnosis.
- To enable students to pursue clinical and laboratory- based research, thereby proving helpful in research based studies on cancer or other terminal diseases.
- Develop in students the competence to diagnose important pathological conditions in various fields such as histopathology, cytopathology, hematology, and immunopathology.
MD PATHOLOGY: COURSE HIGHLIGHTS
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Name of the course||M.D. in Pathology|
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration||3 years, full time|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MBBS degree recognized by the Medical Council of India|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in the relevant entrance examination (NEET) or personal interview in some cases|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5K to 25 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1 Lakh to 12 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Hospitals, National Institute of Health, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Food and Drug Administration, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Dr. Lal Path Labs, Intelligence Bureau, Central Bureau of Investigation, Asian Institute of Medical Sciences|
TOP INSTITUTES OFFERING MD IN PATHOLOGY
The average tuition fee charged in India for MD Pathology ranges around INR0 25 lacs for private institutes, but is as low as INR 5,000 for AIIMS.