MD Anaesthesiology Admission in Top Medical Colleges
MD Anaesthesiology Admission : Get MD Anaesthesiology Admission Procedure and fee Structure Details. NEET Eligibility, Application form, Exam, Results
Duration: 3 Years
Course Type: Post Graduation
MD Anesthesia is a postgraduate degree in medicine that refers to the practice of administering medications either by injection or by inhalation that will induce a temporary state of loss of sensation or awareness, thus blocking operative pain and suffering. Anesthesia includes analgesia (relief or prevention from pain), paralysis (muscle relaxation), amnesia (memory loss), or unconsciousness. Generally, a patient is anaesthetized to perform painless medical procedures (surgery or dentistry) that would otherwise cause severe or intolerable pain.
Anesthetists are qualified doctors who hold a MBBS and MD degree in medicine and have at least 2 years of work experience in medical practice.
Anaesthesiology Admission Procedure
The three broad categories of anesthesia are:
- General Anesthesia– This is a state of controlled and complete unconsciousness, where the patient has no memory of the procedure and feels nothing. It includes all major operations related to brain or lungs or heart or abdomen or major arteries.
- Sedation– It involves using less amounts of anesthesia to create a ‘sleep-like’ state, thus leaving the patient physically and mentally awake, but not unconscious.
- Regional Anesthesia– When local anesthesia is injected near to the nerves and the particular area of the body becomes numb.
- Local Anesthesia– It numbs a small part of the body. Common examples include removal of teeth or mild eye operation.
The procedure of administering anesthesia is applicable to all surgical specialties including General Surgery, Orthopedics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Otolaryngology, Maxillofacial Surgery, Pediatric, Plastic, Neuro and Cardiac Surgery.
The duration of the course is 3 years, including theoretical sessions and laboratory visits.
The minimum eligibility required to pursue the course is MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery) degree recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
Selection of eligible candidates is based on the rank obtained in the national level entrance National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Post Graduate (NEET PG). AIIMS conducts its own entrance examination and selection is based on the obtained merit.
Begin Your Application Process For M.D CollegesThe average tuition fee in India for MD in Anesthesia ranges around INR 25 lakhs for private institutes, however, it is as low as INR 5K for AIIMS.
MD IN ANAESTHESIOLOGY: COURSE OBJECTIVES
The course essentially aims to train eligible candidates in:
- administering drugs that reduce or eliminate chronic pain that a patient might undergo during surgical procedures.
- managing administration of anesthesia to patients of all ages keeping the risk factor in mind and all types of surgical subspecialties, both for elective and emergency procedures.
- demonstrating skills in ethical, medical, and legal aspects related to the practice of anesthesiology, besides critical care.
- developing diagnostic skills and becoming efficient in laboratory procedures relevant to the diagnosis and evaluation of patients.
- developing competency in managing critically ill patients in emergency and Intensive Care Units (ICU) requiring routine to advanced monitoring, mechanical ventilation and other procedures.
MD IN ANAESTHESIA: COURSE HIGHLIGHTS
Listed here are the major highlights of the course.
|Name of the course||M.D. in Anesthesia|
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration||3 years, full time|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MBBS degree recognized by the Medical Council of India|
|Admission Process||Based on results of the entrance examination (NEET) or personal interview in some cases|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5K to 25 Lakh|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1 to 12 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Hospitals, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Wockhardt Hospital, Columbia Asia, Medanta, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Max Hospital, etc.|
MD in Anesthesia: Course Duration
The duration of MD in Anaesthesiology is three years, spread over six academic terms. The three years of study include both theoretical and practical elements.
The duration of the course is 2 years for those who have completed a recognized postgraduate diploma in the same specialty.
Eligibility for MD in Anesthesia
To pursue the course, candidates need to have obtained MBBS degree from an institution recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and completed one year of compulsory internship after passing the final professional examination which is MBBS before the month of April of the relevant academic year.
MD in Anesthesia: Admission Process
Admission to MD in Anesthesia is based on the candidate’s performance in the national level entrance examination National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) PG which is a single window entrance examination to MD/MS/PG diploma courses in Medicine.
Some institutes such as AIIMS and CMC Vellore conduct their own entrance examinations and select students based on performance in such exams. However, some institutes also provide admission on the basis of marks obtained in MBBS and work/internship experience of the candidates.
NATIONAL ELIGIBILITY CUM ENTRANCE TEST (NEET) PG – NEET PG is an eligibility-cum-ranking examination, conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), for admission to MS/MD and PG Diploma courses in India at medical/dental colleges approved by the Medical Council of India/ Dental Council of India. NEET-PG is a single window entrance examination for entry to MD/MS/Post Diploma courses.
MD Anaesthesiology Admission Through Management Quota
MD in Anesthesia: Career Prospects
Qualified postgraduates of the course often work as Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), as advanced practice nurses working in hospitals and clinics.
Upon successful completion of the course, postgraduates are offered an average monthly salary ranging between INR 40,000 and 1,00,000.
Such professionals are hired in government and private hospitals and clinics, academic institutions, private clinics and nursing homes etc.